Thursday, October 25, 2012

Mr. Student Government Nice Guy

The first time I met Mr. Student Government Nice Guy, we were in an elevator together in my dorm this spring. He gave me a big ‘ole smile and asked politely, “Have you voted in the student elections this week?” I smiled back, confessing that, with the exception of the incumbent, I didn’t even know the other two candidates. Entirely unfazed, my unflappable elevator companion beamed, stuck out his hand and said, “Well you’re meeting one right now!”

The top dogs... or should I say 'Dores
Former Vanderbilt Student Government Vice Presidential candidate Taylor Bruce has never met a stranger, and probably never wants to. Despite his experiences in transferring schools, participating in Model UN, becoming a member of the Asian American Students Club (he is decidedly white) and running for high-profile roles in Vanderbilt Student Government, he claims his favorite activity is “meeting people.” My kind of guy.

“I’m sort of social so I just walk up to people and say hey what’s up and if they respond positively I’m friends with them, and if not, I’m not,” he says matter-of-factly. (Sort of social? This kid is literally my generation’s Eddie Haskell reincarnate, without creeping on your mom.) Taylor is outgoing to the point that he took on the role Darth Vader for a Model UN conference at Yale. Instead of acting as representatives of countries, college students honed debate and negotiation skills Star Wars style. He debated the challenges facing the galaxy, all while dressed as the leader of the Dark Side, complete with light saber.
"MR. MODERATOR, I OBJECT TO YODA'S POLICY CONCERNING THE WOOKIES."

Marching to the beat of his own drum, the effervescent Mr. Nice Guy works on Vanderbilt Student Government for both the benefit of his fellow students and sometimes himself – a typical millennial trait. We’d like to think that volunteering or having a service role is entirely altruistic, but padding the resume never hurt, right? Taylor explains, “Being on VSG is like representing Vanderbilt and I get to be at the core. VSG isn’t at top of the pyramid but it’s more at the center. It’s not the best student organization, but it is in the middle. It allocates funds, helping organizations get what they want, and students individually get what they want.”

Last year, when Taylor ran for Vice President of student government, he knew that his chances weren’t the best– but he wanted to run to get his name out there because he’ll have a wider audience when he runs for president next year. Washington bound? We would think so, but Mr. Nice Guy often outshines the Mr. Student Government, and I found that Taylor’s aspirations aren’t all about political power – not even close. 

When asked what he wants in life, Taylor responds, “I want to find abundance.” Whoa. Deep. I push him to dig little deeper: “It’s health, happiness, good people around me,” he says thoughtfully. “Abundance is not necessarily material wealth, although that would be helpful, but wealth in the sense that I can do whatever I want when I want. I would be able to help those that I like and are with me along the way. I could help get them what they want as well.”

So if he knows what he wants to do, how is he going to do it? This is where Taylor encounters a similar struggle to other millenials: we know we want to be happy, but how? “I’m still working to find my passion, but hopefully I have time,” he laughs. (Contagiously, I might add.) “I think some people are our are forcing themselves to figure out their passion. If I don’t find a job I’m interested, I don’t want it. Nobody wants to sit in a office for 80 hours a week and get paid less than what they deserve.”

ugh.
Very self-aware, Mr. Bruce. He understands societal expectations, but wants to create his own path. In my experience, millennials have several ideologies when it comes to where they are going in life. Some of us want to blaze a trail, while others feel like everything was destined by the time they graduating – from the 5th grade. (Let’s hit puberty before we decide we want to be the Editor-in-Chief of the Harvard Law Review.)  Taylor reflects on our pre-deterministic peers: “They think that they have to what everyone expects of them. I originally thought I had to as well – it just seemed to be what everyone did. It took a lot of thinking, but I realized I don’t have to follow the same path as everyone else.”

But bursting the bubble is easier said than done. Taylor says he too conforms to the standard of his peers at Vanderbilt. “I experience stereotypes at Vanderbilt on a weekly basis. For tailgates, everyone dresses in a particular way – and I do too. I don the costume of a Vandy student: someone who comes from money and dresses in a style that is pretty Northeastern. Well, it’s Northeastern meets Southern – but it’s not something you can find anywhere else.” 

So is there more to Vanderbilt students than meets the eye? “Well, there’s more to everyone that meets the eye,” he says. “People have their own personalities, their unique ways of being. I’m sure there are some that are stereotypes that are straight to the core, but for the most part, everyone has a multifaceted personality.” 

Taylor smiles when he considers where Vanderbilt students fall in relation to the rest of our generation. As a transfer student from Ohio Wesleyan, where he lived with two other freshmen from Pasadena and Pakistan, he’s enjoyed seeing different perspectives our generation has to offer. 

“Vandy students are not indicative of our entire generation as a whole because most people do not get this kind of opportunity,” he says earnestly. “You can take any list of a top 100 school, whatever ranking. Vanderbilt will be in all of them. The people who get to experience that kind of thing is a very small portion of our generation in America.” 

Self-aware to the max – and the least bit smug about it. Taylor seems to have a keen perspective on life that many in our generation don’t have, yet his easy smile and approachability make him someone that you could talk to for hours, about everything and nothing.

Since he’s only been here three semesters, Taylor eagerly makes up for lost time by meeting as many people as he can. However, Mr. Nice Guy, in true Mr. Nice Guy fashion, is humble to boot: “I don’t think I’m some progressive super dude. I just like meeting people and I don’t care what they are like as long as they don’t suck. If you aren’t mean, then I am happy with you and we can be friends.” 

Let's make a deal... or better yet, a friendship!


Well said, Taylor. Sometimes those awkward elevator moments work out for the best.

1 comment: